Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Forever Thankful

This Thanksgiving I am so thankful for what God has done in and through my family. We have been "blessed" with material items but the most important and precious gift was my son Brennan trusting Jesus as his Lord and Savior. I am ecstatic that he came to this point in his life. I never wanted to rush him into this decision. I knew he was curious but he is curious about everything in life. That's just Brennan.

It was a normal Sunday morning in our household on November 1st. Brennan was taking a bath in my bathtub, and I was hurriedly trying to figure out what to wear. Brennan looked at me and asked why my lips were still red. I reminded him that I had red lipstick on the previous night for Halloween and it wouldn't come off. I normally don't wear lipstick but Brennan insisted on me wearing red lipstick to complete our family's Halloween costume: the Avengers. I was Black Widow!

The Neal Family Presents:
The Avengers: Captain America, Incredible Hulk, Thor, and Black Widow

I was a little frustrated the lipstick wouldn't come off. Brennan's exact words were "you should be happy your lips are red, they are like the blood of Jesus". I was taken aback and almost let the comment slide but I felt the Holy Spirit nudge me to ask him more questions. I allowed him to "teach" me what he already understood about Jesus, the Cross, and sin.

At this point, I knew A.T. (my husband) needed to be included in the conversation. A.T. came in and Brennan explained to him our previous conversation. A.T. then led Brennan in a prayer as we all hugged each other. The realization that Brennan was no longer only my son but also my brother in Christ made me cry and extremely thankful.

Brennan is so excited about his journey. He loves reading his bible and devotional. He is hungry to know more. I can't believe that a silly Halloween costume led to a conversation and my son's conversion. God can and will use anything for His glory and part of His will!

I am thankful to my missional community and Hello World children's ministry at Blueprint Church as well as countless family members and friends for teaching Brennan about Christ. I am thankful for God's grace and mercy to pursue Brennan. A couple nights ago Brennan prayed that one day he will become a pastor. I don't know if that's God's will for his life, but we are committed to teaching him God's Word for the rest of his life.



Brennan by the cross at Blueprint Church with his new devotional 

My prayer as Thanksgiving approaches is that we, as believers, have the same hunger and thirst for God's Word that Brennan has at this moment. We must seek God with everything in us. We must be "all in". We should be forever thankful that God pursues us and wants us to be a part of His family.

Happy Thanksgiving Friends!

1 comment: